Friday, October 23, 2009

dolls




Because I was doing a lot of hand sewing this week stitching up lavender pillows, I was thinking often of my grandmother, Rosalie. She was an artist and also great seamstress. When I was little, she made me the doll on the left from a kit. She sewed the doll clothes too, out of (surprise!) vintage fabric. When I look at the way she finished these clothes with the most immaculate hand stitching, it leaves me speechless, thinking about the time she took to make these and the love with which she did it. Although she died almost ten years ago, it is really nice to remember her through her work. The antique doll on the right was also a gift from my granny.

Beautiful doll clothes here, from Wren Handmade.

Incredible hand stitching and all around vintage fabric genius, Ann Wood, here.

Have a great weekend, next week I will get to posting my holiday shows!

8 comments:

Maria | Vintage Simple said...

That's so wonderful that you have that doll and the memories of your grandmother...so special. It seems to me that Rosalie lives on through your talent...I believe you've inherited her gifts as a seamstress...no?

Have a wonderful weekend, Jill...we're at the beach, getting ready to go dip our toes in the ocean!

-maria

littlebyrd said...

These are so sweet! As are your memories and story that go with them. Seeing these reminds of this really wonderful deco doll I should have bought and didn't and kick myself for.
Hope you are enjoying your weekend so far!

Mary-Laure said...

Exquisite dolls...

Andrea Tachezy said...

I love old toys - dolls and bears most of all.

Bohemian girl said...

They are very pretty!

Esti said...

lovely dolls through which you can remember your gramma. lovely post.

Jill said...

thanks for looking, ladies :) fun to share this stuff with you, as random as it is! i'm on an old doll kick right now, and now i'm wanting an old doll house to put in my studio. next summer i'll search the flea market for one.

Mrs.French said...

I love getting a glimpse into your childhood and the things you cherish...the story made me miss my grandmother too...xo t