Tuesday, March 8, 2011


I think soup is the most satisfying thing to cook (and eat). I usually grocery shop on Mondays and inevitably have some things left over from the week before that I need to use up, hence the soup.
My favorite soups are usually the ones where I wing it without a recipe. This soup is made from a few leeks, some scallions, half a sweet red pepper, a handful of tiny potatoes with the skins left on, celery, and carrots. I chopped and then sauteed all the vegetables together with some butter and olive oil for about 30 minutes in a big pot. Then I added about 4 cups of chicken broth and a cup of water or two and let it simmer for another 30 minutes. Finally, I added a bit of salt to taste and pureed the whole thing in the blender. Voila! Really delicious and simple.

1 comment:

Jane Flanagan said...

Yum! Sounds delicious and healthy!